Friday, June 29, 2007

I Should Be Working

We're getting down to the wire. Moving day is less than a week away, and I would like to spend 3 out of the next 6 days painting in the new apartment.

Of course, I have to get access to the new apartment first, but that's another issue.

The main issue is that I should be working, not blogging. Hey, I just got up. Give me a break.

It is a beautiful Friday here, the sun is shining, it's going to be a very mild day in the low 80's, not quite hot enough to go swimming, which I promised to the kids, but maybe they'll forget? (Fat chance)

So this is what I've been up to lately.

Not blogging (obviously)

Packing- Nobody wants to hear about it, nobody wants to do it.

Painting Furniture- I sanded down and refinished two dressers, one for each of the kids' rooms. They both look really nice, however, I'm concerned about keeping the tops free of scratches. One actually already has a scratch, leading me to believe there might be a rodent in our garage, which would be horrible because I have our two new couches sitting out there waiting to move into the new location.

Buying Couches- I wrote about this already, I think. When we went to pick up the couches last weekend, I found a coffee table too. It's going to look so classy!

Selling Off Stuff- I put an ad in last week's free circular and so far I have sold a refrigerator, 3 air conditioners, a table saw, porch swing, and Matt's old mountain bike. I'm trying to get rid of our blue sofas and a stove yet. We may have a lot more living space in the new place, but there will be much less room for storage. We've been using the whole basement here for storage, but the basement at the new place is finished and full of bedrooms and a bathroom and stuff.

Going to Plays in the Park- You can't JUST work! There's a theatre company that does children's plays in the park every week. We can walk down there, getting a little exercise, then sit and watch a play and sing silly songs and just act goofy. It's lots of fun. At first, Maia didn't really get it, but she's starting to enjoy it more and more. Xander loves them. So far, we've seen, "Puss In Boots," "The Jungle Book," "Star Ship I" and the babysitter took the kids to see a company called Page to Stage that does storybook adaptations. Yesterday, Matt took the kids to the library to see the Zoo Man, who had a couple of snakes and a lizard and some other creepy things. Next week, Cinderella Goes Disco!

Getting Ready For The Weekend- This weekend, there's a big art festival at Falls Park called Art Falls. I think I've written about this before. Mercy church is manning the water/pop booths for the events in exchange for the opportunity to slap a sticky note with info about the church on each bottle we sell. We also get to do our church service there Sunday morning, but to our great chagrin, cannot find a drummer to play for us. We probably tried 8-10 drummers and everyone is out of town this weekend! Grrr. SO, we're going "unplugged." We'll have 3 acoustic guitars, a hand drum (yes, I'll be our drummer- scary!), bass and my little Irish flutes. We practiced last night with 3 out of the 5 members and I think it'll be nice. Very soothing and hippie.

Getting Roped Into Playing/ Singing for a Wedding- Yes, as if I did not have enough to do, I'm going to help out Pastor Shel by playing piano and singing with him for a wedding tomorrow, which meant a rehearsal yesterday and the wedding rehearsal this evening. I just couldn't help it, they really needed some guidance, which was all I planned to offer, but Shel must have really made the other girl singer mad, because she quit. The poor bride was up in arms and ready to kill her groom because, after all, this was the ONE THING that he was responsible for and it was a disaster! Then Shel gave her a little crap and she ripped him a new one (I can't say I blame her), so now he just refers to her as "Bridezilla." I'm just trying to help this poor young lady (whom I've never met) have a beautiful wedding day. If I can act as a buffer for Shel, all the better! :)

Swimming at the Wading Pool: We still have not used our swimming passes, which we got a good deal on, but so far, we've paid $25 for our family to go to the free wading pool 4 times. I tried to get the kids signed up for swimming lessons Tuesday morning, but apparently I was not fast enough. Registration opened up Monday evening and that's when I should have gone, because by the time I got there on Tuesday morning, all the classes I needed for the kids were full. So... we're "home schooling" swim lessons this year. Water readiness for Maia and some stroke basics for Xander. So far, we've worked on flutter kicking and a little bit on diving. We should probably get into a bigger pool before we focus on diving much more!

So we've had a lot going on, but mostly good summery stuff. It just seems like moving, Art Falls and now this wedding are creating the perfect storm for this weekend.

Breathe.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know this is well after you wrote the post, and you may not see it for awhile, but I wanted to let you know I'm praying for you guys and your move!