Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Church outside

Last weekend, we had our church service outside, and a Summer Celebration with German ethnic food, a concert and inflatables for the kids. Xander & Maia had so much fun! It was kind of a cloudy, overcast afternoon, though the morning was bright and clear and moderately cool. It did rain a little later on, around 2:00, but most people had gone home by then- including me and the kids, even though our band was supposed to start playing about then... They didn't really need me for the few songs they did for the few people who stayed to listen.

The food was wonderful: weinerschitzel and saurkraut and potato kugel and küchen for dessert (I'm so amazed I figured out how to type an umlaut!). The kids had hot dogs and there were some rolls with little pop-off tops that you could fill with either strawberry-rhubarb or raspberry-rhubarb jam.

We had something like 175 in attendance, between Good Shepherd and Mercy and visitors- I think 15-20 of them. I made a special effort to spend time talking to people I didn't know, and met a nice guy from Salt Lake City, UT, who was in town for the weekend on business- he said that he's on the worship team at his church and really enjoyed the morning, so that was nice. Another guy, Jason, is a non-traditional USF student (psych/ poli-sci) who was in the Navy for 6 years before getting injured, and is an active pilot and involved with missionary pilots.

It was nice to see the two churches actually interacting, not just tolerating each other. It's starting to feel a little more like family.

I took this attitude of hospitality with me this week, and met a nice young single mother at the park yesterday. We were having a lovely conversation, while watching our kids play, but Maia peed all over the park and I didn't have a spare outfit for her, so that was the end of playtime for us. It was a nice chat, regardless.

No comments: