Friday, May 18, 2007

Recital Season

I am winding down the end of the school year in my voice and piano studio. I had my college students' recital a couple of weeks ago at USF. Played for 17 students! Some of them did an excellent job, others- well, they did it, and that's what matters.

Sunday, I'll hold a recital for my home studio, which includes 4 piano students and 7 voice students. One of my piano students already did recital, she played on the college students' recital because she can't come this Sunday. One of my voice students is suffering from the same junk as me (gunky throat), and she's not a very good singer anyway, so we'll see if she'll be able to sing on Sunday.

The ages of my students range from 7 to 27, so it will be a pretty diverse recital, as all of mine usually are. I'm excited to have a church to do the recital at for the first time since I've been teaching lessons (over 15 years). Good Shepherd, where our church meets, has a grand piano and a small but echo-y sanctuary which will be perfect for an intimate recital. Most of my voice students will sing without the aid of a microphone, however if they sing a pop-style or worship song, I have them use a mic because it is appropriate for the genre. I also will have my two youngest singers use the microphone for amplification purposes. If grandpas and grandmas are coming, they'll want to be able to hear them, right?

I am playing a Beethoven sonata on the recital. Just part of it. It's very crashy and dramatic, but the whole thing might be a bit long for a young audience, so I'm playing the introduction and jumping right to the recapitulation. (translation: I'm playing the good stuff at the beginning and end and skipping the boring stuff in the middle)

Xander's singing on the recital. He's so cute! (Don't tell him I said that, "I'm COOL, Mom."). He practiced with the at the church the other day, and knows exactly what to do in a recital setting (when and how to bow, acknowledging his accompanist and everything). Not that I'm biased or anything, but he's a pretty good little singer. He'll look especially good considering where he is in the program, after a much weaker singer.

No comments: