Thursday, June 26, 2008

Xander's Camp Experience

I sent the kids to YMCA day camp these last 2 weeks. They have a long-standing, well-established program for kids right across the river from our house, and I thought they would enjoy it. Xander went to Leif Erickson camp (some strong Norsky influence there, Papa Svale would be proud) for 6-9 year-olds, and Maia went to Little Vikes camp for 4-5 year-olds.

Xander has had an absolute blast from day one. There are 3 kids from his class there, one is in his group (they have probably 120 kids in each 2-week session, 6 sessions over all). Each "group has about 10 kids and one counselor. Xander says his counselor is the coolest because he can brandish a whip just like Indiana Jones. As a matter of fact, this counselor has the kids beleiving that he was a stunt double in the latest Indiana Jones movie. (Someday, Xander's going to have to learn when people are flat-out lying to him. Does this seem like something we should do at a "Christian" camp?).

Tonight is Xander's last night at camp. It was family night, and most days, he has gotten on a big red bus at 8:20 in the morning and been returned to us via the big red bus (one of at least a dozen that run all over the city) at 4:20 pm. Today, they stayed at camp all evening, and will spend the night and be returned in the morning.

Mostly, this would be a great idea, but last night we had a wicked thunderstorm whip through here at about 4:30 am, and I woke up and thought, "If this happens tomorrow night, I am driving into the heart of that muddy campground and finding my baby!"

I was reasonably stunned to discover this evening that the "shelter" that each group sleeps in does not even have walls. It is like a small picnic shelter with pea gravel on the ground covered with some kind of damp carpet.

"So, what happens if a thunderstorm comes through like last night?" I asked whip-bearing counselor.

"They'll be safe. We have an indoor shelter to move to if the weather gets bad."

Really? At 4:30 in the morning? Have you tried to wake a 8 year-old boy in the middle of the night lately? (geesh. I hope not! That seems creepy)

Anyway, Xander will be sleeping outdoors tonight, but I doubt I'll be getting much rest.

No comments: