Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Scheels Awards

Matt is the proud recipeint of the 2008 "E For Excellence" award from Scheels for his 2nd passion in life (right after bikes), Youth Cold Weather clothing. His shop was the top seller last year, so we got invited to the Scheels Awards banquet in Brainerd, MN last Wednesday.

The awards were held at Maddens on Gull Lake, a lovely golf resort, which if you click on the link looks like a pretty nice resort to stay in, however, I was a little dubious when we first were shown our lodging. We drove past these:


and discovered that our room was in this building:


Much to my relief, it did not smell like Camp Pine Lake, (even though it looked like it), and though the accomodations were dated, they were nice, clean and the beds were very comfortable.

When we arrived on Wednesday evening, it was very chilly (the high in Brainerd was 49 that day... on the 11th of June!), and stormy and windy, but there was a fireplace right in our room (real wood-burning), which we weren't actually brave enough to try lighting (afraid the flue would be closed and we'd smoke up the joint). Here's a picture of the fireplace at breakfast the next morning! :)


The awards banquet itself was fine, about what you'd expect, I guess. I was TOLD it was a formal dinner, so I dressed in a formal dress (I sort of have a collection of them that I love to wear at any opportunity). Yeah, I was WAY overdressed, but oh well! I guess "formal" means a different thing to the athletic crowd than it does to the artistic crowd.

We awoke to a lovely view of the lake,
and a beautiful day, so Matt & I took some time to walk around the grounds and didn't rush home.

No comments: