Friday, January 05, 2007

OK, So the House

There's the latest on the Marion house:

I quit making payments. I have now missed two. This means that the bank will surely foreclose on me before long, right? I don't like the idea of foreclosure, it seems irresponsible, plus it will really mess up our credit for a while, but I am starting to run out of options.

So the other day, I get an email from our friends Adam & Ronda. They are faced with a horrible situation there in Marion. They have intentionally chosen to live in a very rough part of town in order to minister to the people there. They do a fantastic job at it, and the fruit of their labors, while sometimes hard to see, is so worthwhile.

A few years back, a community organization built a home for Adam and Ronda that was such a blessing to them! They got to live in a brand-new house- even if it is a bit on the small side- and I don't know all the financial details but I know they got a really good deal on the place.

Unfortunately, that really good deal is going really bad. The walls in their house are cracking and it looks like their foundation was poured incorrectly and the house will soon be unlivable.

And here's the stinker: the community organization that built this home for them no longer exists. It dissolved a few years ago, so there is no one to hold to their workmanship.

Marion is rallying around Adam & Ronda, and several people have approached them about applying for an Extreme Home Makeover, but some wonderful friends came up with the idea that if they were able to get one thousand people to give $50 each, they could give Adam & Ronda a pretty nice house to live in. You know, kind of do our own Extreme Home Makeover. (By the way, if you're reading this and want to contribute, send checks to Hanfield United Methodist Church with "Community Housing" in the memo line. In this link, Ronda is the singer in the top left corner!)

So in the meanwhile (this was in November), I said to myself, "Hey, we've got a house in Marion that no one is living in. Why not at least offer it?" I wrote to them an offered our place as a refuge for them while they're waiting for a new house to be built. The biggest problem with our house is that it's not in their neighborhood, so they lose out on the ministry they do.

Well, Ronda emailed me Monday night and said things are starting to get out of hand at their house, and wondered about taking us up on our offer. I told her where to get a key and they went and looked at the place this week. She said it's not in too bad of shape for being empty for a year and a half. (She MUST be desperate!)

They are going to try to get things straightened out at their place- they feel like they can't leave until enough money is raised to demolish the current house and begin work on the new one, so that they don't have to lose out on more ministry time than is necessary. But they could be moving in as early as this month, and at the most in the next couple of months.

I told her I totally understand the "living in a state of limbo" thing, and whenever they can get in, the place will be ready for them.

So, now I have to catch up on two months of house payments that I've missed. Plus pay the deductible on the car (see previous post) AND January is the month that USF is on J-term, so I don't teach there this month, which means no paycheck from there this month, which will be a significant dent in the ol' income.

The good news is: and I mentioned this in the previous post as well, we got a couple of nice gifts that were unexpected this week, and that will help pay for the car at least. I've got the utilities all up-to-date and have a request in to the bank to help us get our monthly payments reduced by refinancing the house out to a 30-year loan instead of the 15-year one that it's currently on.

BUT everyone is healthy, and God is good. Things could be a lot worse! :)

No comments: