Am I getting in over my head here?
Yesterday I was offered and accepted another job (this makes five paid jobs if you're counting- a lot for a stay-at-home mom).
I am now going to be the music pastor for Good Shepherd Community Church. This is not as conflicting as you might think.
Good Shepherd is the church that owns the building where Mercy Church meets. They have a small, older congregation, who prefer a traditional worship style. GS lost their pastor last month, so our pastor, Shel Boese, is currently serving as their pastor. He's interested in revitalization, not just doing life support, so the goal is to get this little church brought back to life, while maintaining a fairly traditional service style.
When the musicians from Good Shepherd were asked what they thought needed improvement, one of the first things that came to light was that they need a song leader for Sunday mornings. The other thing that seemed obvious is that these 3 pianists/ organists do not want to choose the music, just to be told what to do.
So my job is to pick the hymns each week and lead them on Sunday morning. SO FAR...
If I understand right, some members of the congregation have approached Shel about the service being more "blended" in style. We'll see what comes of that. The thought being of course, attracting young people. But if our buidling is going to attract "young people" with more modern music, they're going to come to Mercy. My thought is that we should do traditional well. There are a lot of people who are attracted to that. Even some young ones! :)
So, we'll see what comes of all this. It really doesn't mean much more time commitment for me- just have to get to church an hour earlier on Sundays (and frankly, getting the family out the door by 10:00 every Sunday feels so LAZY after so many years of 7:30 am!) and work with a few more people. And get to know ANOTHER new congregation. But I think it'll be OK. AND it's a little extra pay. Can't complain about that. We'll see how I feel about it in a few months.
No comments:
Post a Comment