Thursday, August 10, 2006

Reading Right Now

I've started two new books. Well 3 (to imitate the writer of Proverbs). I am currently reading:

"Divine" by Karen Kingsbury, a contemporary parable of the life of Mary Magdalene
"Velvet Elvis" by Rob Bell, and
"Living Beyond Yourself" by Beth Moore.

It's interesting that these 3 books should intersect at this point in my life. I read a lot. Usually I average a novel a week, though last week I read 2 1/2. Of course, those are usually Christian fiction, stories that get me roped in and invested in the lives of the characters. The kind you can't put down. And unless I recognize the cover, I sometimes read them twice and don't realize it until I'm over halfway through.

"Velvet Elvis" is nothing like that. It's one of Matt's favorite non-fiction books. I've only read the introduction so far, but if I were to sum it up in one sentence, I'd say the gist of the book (at least the introductory chapter) is this: Christianity is an ever-evolving faith that must be deconstructed and reconstructed by each generation, building upon the wisdom of ages past and understanding the current culture enough to realize that the truths that former generations built their lives around are as real today as ever, in order to understand that the Word of God is living and active and so is the Christian faith.

That's a really long sentence, but really, do you expect anything different from me? (See former entry: "FOUR things about me." HA!)

So I can see that "Velvet Elvis" is going to be challenging and educational. (I'll have to force myself to read it though)

"Divine" is unlike any other Kingsbury book I've ever read. Karen usually has a way of writing that makes you cry and laugh within paragraphs of each other. Your heart gets very emotionally involved in the story she tells and she's very romantic. Sometimes to the extreme that I wonder if romantic "first love" feelings become a bit of an idol in her stories. But this book is much different. I told Matt last night that it's much more Francine Rivers in nature. It has a lot of the same flavor as Rivers' book, "Redeeming Love" or "The Atonement Child." It's an excellent read for anyone involved in counseling victims of sexual and physical abuse. It's helping me remember that life is a lot harder for people not in my little social circle, and that the devil sinks his talons deep once he gets a foothold (or stronghold as Beth Moore would put it).

"Living Beyond Yourself" is a Beth Moore Bible study, my fourth one since last September. It's an older study of Beth's but her topics are timeless and so God-directed that no matter when you do one of her studies, God speaks to your heart loud and clear. This one is on the fruits of the Spirit. (Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, Kindness, Goodness, Faithfulness and Self-Control). I'm doing the study with only 2 other women, Martha and Laura. We are all in serious need of some fresh living water in our lives.

Things I've gleaned so far: God's ways are so much bigger than ours and completely beyond my comprehension. I guess I have to be reminded of this frequently. His purpose for me is beyond what I can accomplish on my own, my current situation is beyond my control and in His hands, and I need His help to shape my character in my daily interactions with my family and others. Women have been given the gift of influence, and we're really good at it. THAT's why we need to be filled with the Spirit. We need to use our power for good! :)

The topic of martyrdom vs. prosperity preaching also came up. A quote that I found particularly interesting was from a missionary to China who was later beheaded for his ministry: "Let us remind ourselves that the Great Commission was never qualified by clauses calling for advance only if funds were plentiful and no hardship or self-denial involved. On the contrary, we are told to expect tribulation and even persecution, but with it victory in Christ."

I think our brand of Christianity is pretty tame and doesn't take risks leaning on the strength and provision of Jesus enough.

Matt & I also had a conversation the other day that really boiled down to this: If Jesus is the ONE THING, the thing we truly center our lives around, then we don't need to be concerned about other people's struggles, habits, addictions, or lifestyles. That's Jesus' job to work out in each one of us. We are called to center our lives around him and "The things of the earth will grow strangely dim."

OK, so that was a very outward focus (martyrdom & evangelism) and a very inward focus (Jesus as the center of my life). I suppose that's the paradox for my life today.

Anyway, all this to say that it's not all about macaroni & cheese and potty training at my house. I have thoughts that could fit in with Matt's blog too!

No comments: