Monday, August 21, 2006

First Day of First Grade


Well, today was Xander's first day in a 'real' school setting. He did great. Loved it. Only one little hitch. I got a phone call shortly after noon from the principal at All City Elementary, a public school that has required parental involvment, a reorganized weekly schedule and is really hard to get into. They had a last-minute drop-out, and had a spot for Xander available tomorrow if he wants it.

So I had to go pick up Xander from one school, apologize to his teacher and principal and gather all his stuff and get him re-registered at a different school.

ACE will be a lot farther away, about a 20-minute drive, and I'll have to figure out what to do with Maia on Thursday afternoons when I volunteer in the classroom (with 2 other parents). It's going to be a tight squeeze getting back home in time to teach lessons after school on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday afternoons, but hopefully we can hook up with a carpool from this neighborhood.

So, it was a bit different than I expected, and Xander was slightly put out with me because he made a new friend today and didn't even get to say good-bye.

I guess we'll have a second first day of first grade tomorrow.

No comments: