Saturday, December 09, 2006

Christmastime is Near

This season really zooms past, doesn't it? I have been enjoying Christmas card updates from friends young and old, and am trying to be in the process of getting ours written. I stalled out when I realized that we had to put a family picture in. Of course, we don't HAVE to, but we are going to, and I don't have one that will fit the bill. As a matter of fact, I had to go buy Xander new clothes yesterday because he has nothing to wear for the upcoming Christmas programs he's in, so I chose things that would coordinate well with the rest of us, so we can all look nice together.

Today, December 9 (Happy Birthday, Micah Hoeksema!) was kind of a fun day. It's a Saturday, so as usual, we started our day with a praise team practice at the church which took longer than it should. *sigh* We've got to whip these kids into shape! Check back in a year and see if that's happened yet. I'm betting not.

After worship team rehearsal, by dear friend, Amy Lu (from Sheldon) came over for lunch with her daughter, Gracia. They were having a girls' day out Christmas shopping day in Sioux Falls, and we invited them over for lunch. Gracia is a year younger than Maia, so sharing didn't go so well between the two of them, but we had a nice visit, though too brief. I think the two of us could just talk for days without stopping. We should have a slumber party like we did when we were kids. I doubt we'd get all the way caught up even then!

At 2:30 this afternoon, the kids and I walked downtown to witness 156 tubas celebrate Christmas in the 17th annual "Tuba Christmas." The weather was beautiful, over 50 degrees, and the company was great too, got to spend some time with our parents and friends- Jim, Marilyn, Bruce, George, Pete, Paula, John, his son, Terry, Lynn & Julie. They had come to town to hang out together, get some shopping done, eat at Minerva's downtown and see the Tuba Christmas.

There's nothing too fancy or sophisticated about the Tuba Christmas. From what I can understand (I couldn't hear the announcer, somehow I wound up sitting behind all the tubas, so his back was to me when he was making announcements), they send an invitation to any tuba or baritone/euphonium player in the tri-state area, regardless of experience or skill level, and
give them all a book of Christmas songs. The songs are not hard, just your standard Christmas carols, and they must not emphasize rehearsal or watching the conductor. A few phasing problems, and they sounded pretty bumbly a lot of the time, but hey, they're tubas. Many of the tubas were dressed up for the occasion, with tinsel, ribbon, garland and flashing lights. Several of the players wore stocking hats in various colors with TUBA CHRISTMAS knitted into them. There were sousaphones, concert tubas, baritones and euphoniums all piled together outside the Phillips Ave. Diner. Quite a crowd, too. Apparently a lot of people thought this would be a fun way to celebrate the Christmas season.

I think I should contact Lori Thomas, my bassoon teacher from USD and suggest that we do a bassoon Christmas. I still have my little bassoon stocking cap and scarf from when we played Christmas quartets and sextets at the USD holiday concerts. Good times.... 'course, I haven't played my bassoon in a long time. I think I still remember how. I'm not serious about this. The weather can't be this nice every time they do this concert. I don't like playing in the cold. We'd definitely have to play inside. And probably in Vermillion, since that's where most of Lori's students are!

My Christmas shopping is almost complete. I think I only have 2 or 3 people left to buy for. That's weird. This is usally when I start my shopping. I didn't do this on purpose this year, I just somehow accidentally planned ahead. Can that even happen? I guess I started noticing things that would make good presents early in the year this year (and by "early" I mean like October and November). Usually I wait until after my birthday (Nov. 23 in case you missed it. I'm still accepting gifts) to even start shopping. This is not a good idea, because the December paycheck is no bigger than any other paycheck, so it's foolish to think I could get something nice for everyone that way. What usually happens is that I cheap out and try to make gifts as thriftily as possible. That really makes people feel special. And I run my credit card way up. That's not a good option either.

Anyway, I'm feeling a little more on top of it this year, so that's a big relief. I just have Matt & Xander to buy for yet. And my Dad. Why am I procrastinating buying for the men in my life? Oh yeah, I don't have a gift for my brother either. So the truth of the matter is, girls are more fun to shop for. Good thing I have so many nieces!

Tomorrow, we are going to Mitchell to attend my brother's kids' Christmas program. AND we're going to Grandma Leigh Anne's to have homemade waffles beforehand. Promises to be a fun night. We got a lot of good pictures last year after the program, so this branch of the family is dressing in coordinating black and khaki and by golly, we're going to get a picture for the Christmas letter!

We're going back to Mitchell next weekend for Christmas with Dad & Marie. They always outdo themselves in the toy department. They love buying gifts for the kids. I've been trying to clean out the toy boxes in preparation for the onslaught of new stuff. Just what they need. More stuff.

OK, that's all I know for now. No new pictures. I haven't taken any pictures since before Halloween. What's the matter with me?

No comments: