Friday, October 27, 2006

Blog Name Change

It looks like I'm going to have to change the name of my blog. I'm no longer considering myself quasi-unemployed. Funny, because last week I was asked the question, "Do you work outside the home?" I thought about it and realized that I'm a stay-at-home mom who works outside the home (USF), inside the home (voice and piano lessons) and in other people's homes (Premier Designs). If anything I'm over-employed!

Pastor Shel from Mercy Church called Matt on Wednesday and offered us the job. Matt tried to say yes right away, but Shel encouraged him to pray about it. Interestingly enough, I started to have some doubts. Everything looks right on the outside, but my spirit wasn't resonating with a resounding "yes." As a matter of fact, I started to doubt what I'd heard from God on Sunday morning, while we were worshiping. I was deeply immersed in the presence of God and cried out in my spirit, "Please don't take this away from me!" I felt like I heard God say, "See? I had something better for you." Which, as my friend Melissa Kessler said, "That's so like Him."

But then yesterday as I was praying and journaling, I started to wonder if he was saying, "Wait, I have something better for you." Which is something else entirely.

At the risk of sounding like a schitzophrenic, I try to listen to this voice and obey it when I hear it. So I voiced my concerns to Matt, who was sensing some kind of questioning too. We decided to take the day yesterday and pray about it individually, then pray together last night.

So yesterday evening, after Matt got home from work, and I got done with a very busy day helping out at Xander's school, teaching lessons at home and praying with a Mom's prayer group (Moms In Touch International), we started to talk about what we were wrestling with.

Matt said that he'd gone back to his notes from Shel's sermon on Sunday, about decision-making as a Christian. It was a very timely message with some really solid Biblical advice. The key point that I had already forgotten (my memory's like Swiss cheese) was not to pray for a roadmap, but pray for wisdom. That's a Biblical way to pray for guidance.

So Matt & I prayed together and it was a really wonderful prayer time. (We should do that more often). We both shared what God said to us during that time, and while neither of us heard "take the job" or anything like that, we both came to the same conclusion that we are supposed to take it.

So the job. It's a quarter-time position which we'll share. All this angst over that? Anyone who knows us, however, knows that we'll pour all of ourselves into this job, no matter what the salary or time commitment is. We're now trying to figure out how Matt's current job (fixing bikes) will work around his chosen vocation (worship leading).

Matt was commenting yesterday how cool it is, that he's a worship leader who fixes bikes and teaches a little trumpet. All the things he's passionate about. God is so good!

I guess I'm now a child of God, a wife, a mother, a worship leader and a voice teacher who sometimes sells jewelry. Life is good. I think my new blog name will simply be "Blessed." But I'll take more creative suggestions if you have them!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good name change. By the way, we continue to pray for your house situation.