Sunday, May 22, 2011

Cultivating Community


So we have some new neighbors.

I just want to keep one of them for my own. Do you suppose her family would miss her? I think maybe not. She came over to our house the day after they moved in next door, and invited herself in for supper.

During that meal, I learned that in her 7 years, she has lived in 17 different homes. She has 4 siblings, one of whom is a brother who is the reason they were kicked out of their last apartment. "Because he's so bad." (note to self- lock car doors at all times)

She has two older sisters who are supposed to look out for her, but sometimes forget to feed her meals, and a baby brother who's sick all the time. She has a mom who is never home and her dad lives in Florida.

Somebody needs some stability.

I have since fed her several meals, and also made it clear that I'm not feeding her all summer.

Saturday morning, I started the process of working in my rock beds (I'm not wild about these rock beds, see multiple posts from last summer). Just pulling some weeds, and planting a few seedlings that I started indoors this spring.

Within minutes our new little friend skipped over to check out the activity. She enjoyed digging in the dirt looking for worms and bugs. We had a lovely time together. I hope I never forget how to relate to a 7-year-old.

A little while later, her middle sister (11) stopped by and helped out for a while too. Turns out, she's also perfectly sweet, and just as vulnerable and scared as her little sis. She's entering 6th grade this fall, (just like Xander) and doesn't know what school she's going to (because Mom's not happy with the new apartment- which they just moved into 2 weeks ago and is already looking for another one), and is just as nervous as Xander about getting lost and not being able to open her locker. My kid will have the advantage of the Running Start program his middle school offers. Somehow, I doubt this girl's mom is going to sacrifice the $50 to give her the opportunity.

I am reminded of all the little kids I've met over the years working in my yard. Both here and in Indiana.

You can't get to know your neighbors unless you leave the house and hang around the outside of it every once in a while. I am really not much of an outdoorsy person, and while I appreciate a nicely landscaped yard, I don't really seem to have a knack for that myself. But I do love people.

Usually.

It's hard to love them until you get to know them. So, once again, I will be spending a hefty amount of time outside this summer, attempting to make sense of the yard I have, and the neighbors who frequent it.

p.s. wish me luck on my tomatoes this year. I was the recipient of 3 really beautiful looking tomato plant starts from my friend, Loretta. Last year, the roofers killed my promising cherry tomato plant. This year, I'm actually kind of starting a garden (not just planting things in a random sunny spot by the front door). We'll see how it goes!

No comments: