
When I moved here, I didn't like what I saw. While it was lush and full, it was out of control, spiky, pushy and aggressive.
So I spent a couple years stripping things down to the basics. The structure is there, and the groundwork. But everything that was living was ruthlessly hacked away.
But nothing new was planted...
"When an evil spirit comes out of a man, it goes through arid places seeking rest and does not find it. Then it says, 'I will return to the house I left.' When it arrives, it finds the house unoccupied, swept clean and put in order. Then it goes and takes with it seven other spirits more wicked than itself, and they go in and live there. And the final condition of that man is worse than the first. That is how it will be with this wicked generation." Mt. 12:43-45
I'm afraid I left my heart swept clean and put in order, but did not fill it with something to replace all that I had cleaned out. Oh sure, I've done some Bible studies, and women's groups, but my heart has petered out on spiritual matters, and I feel so disconnected right now. When I look out on those terraces, I see the state of abandonment my heart feels.
Today, I tackled the smallest of the levels. It's in the shade, and only these short little stubby weeds were growing there. I soon discovered that they stuck to my gloves fairly insistently. Those weeds were also on the level I did yesterday, but I didn't pay them much mind. I was too concerned about getting out the really big weeds. Now I look back on what I did yesterday, and it doesn't look finished at all!
It's funny how we overlook the little sins in our lives when the big ones are so OBVIOUS. But the little ones have a tendency to stick to you... They also seem harmless when they're little, but often eventually grow into something rather huge and ugly.
The roofers showed up today, so tomorrow I get to deal with junk that other people have thrown into my life...
No comments:
Post a Comment